Friday, September 10, 2010

The Collage Desk

My hubby just got back from his 3 weeks of being gone with the army. Can I tell you that that was the longest 3 weeks ever?!! I think that I've mentioned before that I like to redecorate my house while he's gone to keep my self busy. Well this time there was not to much redecoration going on. I was busy organizing. Organizing and organizing and organizing. Holy Cow does my house look good right now. I even spent more than 5 minutes down in my creepy basement and got all of the trash thrown out, shelves put up, and crap put away where it is actually accesable. Crazy, I know! (Side note- Tyler asked me when he saw it if I cleaned up the dead mouse in the corner. I did not see a dead mouse in any corner, and now will probably avoid any more trips in my basement that require more than a run down and right back up. Eww.) But I did one project while he was gone for my laundry room/office and it is this really fun collage desk. I thought I would share it with you all :D 

It started with this. The Carson Anywhere desk that can be located at your local Target. I got this desk because it was about a foot smaller than the desk we did have in our laundry room/office and when you have a laundry room/office, things need to be as small as is usably possible.
 They didn't have the color that I wanted, white, so I took it home, spray painted all of the pieces, and then put the desk together. I definitely recommend painting before assemblage. It's easier to make sure that you don't miss any spots.
Next I got my camera and printed off a bunch of 4x6 snapshots of my family in black and white. Then I measured my desk and cut the pictures down to where they could fit uniformly. Then I laid all of the pictures out on the desk to decide where exactly I wanted to place them. 
Then stack all of the pictures up in the order that you want them and paint on some Mod Podge, laying the pictures down one row at a time.
Once all of the pictures were down I went over it again with some glossy Mod Podge to seal them.
And then let it dry. Don't wory if there are gaps in between some of the pictures. It still looks awesome and adds to the fun of the desk.
Here is a finished view of the top.
I love that I now get to look at these little faces while I'm doing my work!
It's right at home :D

5 comments:

Beth said...

That looks awesome! Too cute!

Velma said...

very awesome! Did you print the photos on photo paper or regular plain paper???

Candice S. said...

Wow, this is so unique and beautiful!!! I came across your blog at Mod Podge Rocks-Facebook and love it! I'm now a humble follower.

Did you put another layer of Mod Podge to seal the top layer or for finish? ..I'm new at creating decoupage and LOVEEE using Mod Podge, still unsure if I'm any good at it. lol. Have a great weekend!

Candice @ rattlesandredheads.blogspot.com

Creative Flair said...

Love this! May have to do this on a glass table I'm sick of looking at.

* Dan & Ashley * said...

That is SO cute Sammy!! You guys have some of the best ideas!!

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs