Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Polka Dot Key Holder

So I was driving down a road in the next town over the other day, and I looked over and saw that Robert's Crafts was closing!! I know, so sad. So I had a quick moment of silence for the passing of one of my favorite craft stores then flipped a B in the road and headed into the parking lot. Everything on sale for 30% off!! I know, right? So I began my back and forth down every aisle to see what I had to have now. (They aren't officially closing until May 15th so I was looking for things that would go fast, figuring I could go back later when the sale gets bigger.) First thing in my cart was a cricut!! I've been wanting one for so long and they only had one left, and it was so mine. Second thing I got was the subject of this tutorial. I think that it was meant to be a calendar holder, but since I was not in need of one of those, I decided to refashion it into a super cute keyholder! Fun!
I didn't get a pic of the complete before but I'll show the work in progress.

I started out by painting the framing a dark brown (the same brown as my tissue paper wall boxes). Then I painted the bead board portions (I love bead board BTW, but a pain in the butt to paint.)
Next step was to add a thin layer of Mod Podge to the center of the calender holder.
Then layer a decor coordinating paper onto the area. I used polka dots but a damask or something like that would be cute too.
Then I took a cute little plain wreath and a semi-matching green fabric and tore a strip off and hung it off the little top hook with a bow.
I then took it home and hung it near my front door to hang our keys on. And you know what? It's adorable! I love it. Now I realize that not everyone has something like this lying around, but the point is, keep your eyes open. Things don't necessarily need to be used for their intended purposes and a lot of times, the thing you come up with in your own head are way better than the original would have been! So happy hunting, I'm sure that you will find something fabulous too!

2 comments:

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [02 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Connie said...

Very cute and much better than just a calendar holder.

Just stopped by from the Monday Blog Hop. Stop by for a visit anytime.

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs