Monday, August 2, 2010

Crate Planter

I think that I've mentioned on here before that I'm not an "outside-working" kinda gal. One bug and I'm done. But, then something happened. I was at a local antique store and I saw this crate. Yep that one pictured below, and I fell in love. It was old and a little beat up and perfect. I decided to make it into a planter for the front of my house!
First thing that I did was I spray painted it with Krylon spray paint in Celery. So loving that color BTW.
And then when it dried I sanded down the edges and corners to give it a little distressing. It didn't need too much.
Next I used a Minwax stain in Dark Walnut and used a foam brush to cover the entire crate. I left it on for about 5 minutes and then used a wet cloth to wipe off the excess stain, and then sanded it a bit more to lighten up the color.
I then bought 2 terra cotta pots in a brown color and spray painted them with Krylon in an Almond color.
and then sanded around all of the edges so that the brown would show through.
I then filled each about 1/3 of the way up with potting soil
and planted some day lillies in each pot, filling in the open space with more potting soil.
Next I cut a 2X4 into four pieces and laid them in the bottom of my crate to give my pots a little lift so that they showed better.
And then placed each pot in the crate!
It's even better than I pictured in my head, but I'll admit, I didn't picture much. Like I said, plants and outdoors aren't really my thing. I know that this doesn't really count as working outdoors, but it's truly as close as I get :D
And the flowers started blooming today! Hooray!

View the Linky Parties we participate in here.

5 comments:

Britney {Jesses Girl} said...

how cute! i need to do something to my front yard/porch area.

Summer Rae said...

Gorgeous!! Great job!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Very nice! I really like how it turned out!

Rachel said...

That turned out really great!

Big Bird said...

Very Cool! I like that.

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs