Monday, October 4, 2010

Gathered Loopy Scarf

I've been seeing elastic thread all over the place lately and I really wanted to find a project to try it out.  After much debate I decided that I wanted to make myself a scarf. I love scarves. I have about a billion of them, and I could have a billion more and still be wanting. This one is really fun and can be worn loose in the summer or can be wrapped tighter in the winter. I love it!

To make this scarf, I started with some plain white knit fabric


And cut a strip 14 inches wide. It was probably about 5 ft long, though I didn't measure, you can make it as long or as short as you want.


I used the Dritz brand elastic thread. I was about $1.50 a spool and can be found with the elastic at Joann's.


Hand thread the bobbin with the elastic thread and use plain thread on the top of your sewing machine. I used a straight stitch at a 2 1/2 length and set the tension on my machine to the highest setting possible. Starting at the bottom of my scarf, I started sewing an S shape through the length of the scarf.


And sewed clear from one end of the scarf to the other.



Next I folded it in half hotdog way, right sides together, and sewed along the edge.


And flipped the scarf right side out.


Next I took the two ends and sewed them together.


And that's it. Super easy and way fun. I love this plain but just think of all of the different fabric options and colors and patterns you could do!


 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs