Thursday, October 14, 2010

Spooky Caramel Apples

I'm just gonna say it. I don't do Halloween. I know. Don't hate me. I do costumes for my boys and we also do the whole trunk-or-treat thing, but as far as decorating and all of that goes, it just doesn't happen at my house. I'm lucky if I get Christmas up with my two little guys! But I do love caramel apples. I love them anytime of the year really. I decided that it would be a fun little gift for my hubs to give to his home teaching families.

So here are my caramel apples- SPOOKIFIED!!

To start out I melted a couple of bags of Caramel Bits. These things rock, no unwrapping involved. :) They can be found in the baking aisle with the chocolate chips.

And while I was waiting I stuck popsicle sticks into my apples. (I only had 5 so the rest I just stuck spoons in, and kept those for the kiddos to decorate.)

Melt the caramel until it's nice and smooth like this.

Then tip the pot so that all of the caramel goes to one side and roll the apples in. Then set them on a pan covered with wax paper that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. After they are all covered, stick your pan o' apples in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes, or until the caramel sets.

While your apples are setting, melt your chocolate with about 2 tbsp of cooking oil (I just used milk chocolate chips) and find a little something to dip the apples in. I used crushed peanuts but you can use crushed candy bars or leave them with just chocolate.


Take your apples out and dip those babies in the chocolate. Dip them immediately into your nuts or candy if you choose that route. Set them on a new piece of sprayed wax paper and throw them back in the fridge until the chocolate sets.
I don't have specific pics of the next steps, but I then took some Wilton Candy Melts in white, green, and black, and put them in separate ziplock bags. Microwave until melted and then cut off a small corner of each bag and let 'er rip.

Here are some that we came up with...

We used the peanuts as "dirt" and did some headstones with creepy letters

And a little ghostie coming out of the grave.

A silky spider web...

With its own little critter coming out

And, ah, Frank. Frank had a little bit of a rough life...

As you can see. But it all adds to the spook factor.

Then I stuck them in some cellophane bags, tied them up with some cute Halloween-y colored ribbons

And they're good to go!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN FRIENDS!

2 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

Super fun idea! I've never made caramel apples. I should try it with those little caramel bits!

Beth said...

They turned out really cute!

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs